Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The most time consuming post to date (and probably ever)....and it's about Snockey's?!

Okay, so this post has taken me more than two weeks to finish. That may sound strange, because, after all Snockey's is just a South Philly seafood joint. I must preface this review, that prior to my first dining experience here, I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. As a matter of fact, I was introduced to Snockey's out of desperation rather than desire. My roommate, Kaylyn, and I were searching for seafood on the Fourth of July and, for better or worse, Snockey's was the ONLY place in the entire city holding the potential to satiate our craving, that was open...and what a place it was/is!

You walk in the door, and it is immediately obvious you're in South Philly (albeit the fringe). This isn't the hipster, bike-riding, PBR-worshiping South Philly that I'm speaking of. This is the "you'z" and "how ya doin', honey" South Philly that, to the casual observer, seems to be dying out. Snockey's reminds everyone that the South Philly of yore, ain't dyin' witoutta fight. Even the newest aspects of this restaurant outdate the Reagan administration and some even hail back to the days when FDR held the post. There is a blatant avoidance of all that is modern. Paper work is strewn all over the bar as if computers haven't been invented yet. The food is plated with fake (actually real, but doesn't look it) parsley and a lemon wedge. The entire experience reeks of the earlier half of the last century.

The first time Kaylyn and I ate here, we made it an early affair, fully prepared for the sea of dentures and blue hair (no offense dear roommate, as it looks much more tasteful on you) that laid ahead. While the geriatrics (and I mean that in the kindest way possible ;-p) were present,  we didn't expect that we'd be dining during the tacky (but aptly) named, "Clammy Hour". Similar in concept to "Happy Hour", "Clammy Hour" was full of great specials, with an emphasis on food rather than drinks. Having dined here within and outside of "Clammy Hour", I would likely only recommend that others dine during. Some of specials included $.50 Clams (Raw of Steamed), $.75 Oysters (Raw or Fried), and various cheap beer specials. The specials are valid on weekdays from 4-6 p.m. and weekends from 2-4 p.m.. When dining during "Clammy Hour" our selections where as follows:

  • Myself: 10 Fried Oysters and 1 1/2 pounds steamed Alaskan Snow Crab Legs
  • Kaylyn: 10 Raw Oysters and a 2 pound steamed Maine Lobster
Let me start off by saying, 10 fried oysters is definitely a meal upon itself. I was entirely overzealous in ordering that many in addition to an entree. However, those that I was able to eat were decent...not great...merely decent. They were fried until golden brown, but the coating was a bit heavy. Kaylyn, preferring the raw oysters (of which I'm not a big fan), ordered the same quantity as I the fried, but was left with more of an appetite afterwards given that they lacked that coating. The lobster and crab legs were steamed to the point of decency, but again, nothing great. Overall, the food was adequate and served it's purpose, but I feel it's the atmosphere that brought us back for a second round.

A few weeks later, we returned to give Snockey's a second try, hoping they could break the barriers of acceptability. For many reasons, we were hoping Snockey's could be a diamond in the rough, not the least of which was because we're lazy and it's only two blocks away. Our menu selections didn't vary too much from the first time. I skipped the fried oysters all together, and Kaylyn ordered a raw oyster sampler (1 dozen). She thoroughly enjoyed it, but for $22, I personally don't see the point for slimy things you simply swallow and don't really taste. AND now that you're done turning that into a sexual reference, let's proceed to the main attraction. We decided to partake in "Snockey's Crab and Corn Feast", the details of which can be found on their site that will be provided later. The option we chose afforded us all-you-can-eat cleaned, steamed, and seasoned hardshell crabs as well as the same Alaskan Snow Crab Legs I ordered last time.  Both were good, although I fear the first batch of hardshells we were given were not fully cooked.

All in all, I like Snockey's, I really do. I've had the HARDEST time trying to define this place, and the one word that keeps resurfacing in my thought process is "comfortable". That's exactly what Snockey's is, comfortable. It's not fancy, by any means, and they certainly aren't trying to be something that they aren't. They've survived for 99 years (yes, you read that correctly), so they must be doing something right. I didn't grow up in South Philly, nor anywhere near it, but this place makes you feel as though you are part of the clan. Snockey's has reinforced what I've always believed. That is, diners are more loyal to a restaurant based on their comfort level rather than the quality of the food. If the fact that Snockey's is older than Stephen Starr and Jose Garces combined isn't evidence of that, than my friends, I don't know what is.

Snockey's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment